So I’ve done quite a bit of research trying to source a recipe to work off to create these. I wanted to find a recipe that did not include coconut oil. It’s pretty pricey for the good stuff and so budget foodie me had to sought a solution to this that would keep with my theme of not “breaking the bank”. I stumbled across Sarah Wilson’s I Quit Sugar website and she has provided me with a recipe that does not include coconut oil! I did use the same measurements as Sarah for my most part but I ended up substituting a few ingredients with my own as they were already regular ingredients in my pantry at home! So here’s my version of Sarah’s Bliss Ball recipe.
What you’re going to need
1 cup walnuts
1 cup rolled oats.
1/4 cup cacao powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
1 heaped tablespoon vanilla protein powder.
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2/3 cups crunchy peanut butter
3 tablespoons soy milk
desiccated coconut (for rolling).
1. Process your oats and walnuts in a food processor until coarsely chopped.
2. Mix in all of your other dry ingredients until combined
3. Mix all of your wet ingredients (peanut butter, maple syrup and soy milk) in a separate bowl until combined.
4. Add your wet mix to dry and begin combining using your hands (I find wearing disposable rubber gloves for this part was extremely helpful as to avoid getting bliss ball mix under my finger nails)
5. Work with the mix until it is all uniformly combined and begin rolling into balls. (My mix made about 12, but will vary depending on what size you would prefer)
6. Roll the balls in desiccated coconut for that extra burst of flavour! Store in the fridge for up to a week (if they last that long)
For more info on Sarah Wilson and her food philosophy