I must admit, I only really got into tinned tuna last year. Before that, I’d eat it sporadically and just mix it with corn kernels and seasoning. Now that I am working full time and often procrastinate preparing my lunch until the morning of…(habit I am trying to break that’s for sure), I often find myself looking for things I can just pick up and easily pair with something else. My favourite last minute lunch that is healthy and filling is just simply a tin of tuna, single serve microwave rice, half an avocado plus seasoning. Works well when it needs to but you can only eat so much tuna and rice right?
Alas, today’s meal was a combination of carb cravings, utilising leftovers and of course branching out of my go to tuna routine. The gift I had today was time. I wasn’t in a rush to bolt out the door and make my train and so could actually concentrate on making something flavoursome. This is simple home cooking and it just works so well every time.
Creamy Tuna Pasta Bake (serves 2)
What you’re going to need
1 cup spiral pasta
100 ml cream
1 teaspoon butter
1 70g tin tuna
handful baby spinach, roughly chopped
3 slices sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
tasty cheese, grated (quantity up to you)
salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius
- Cook pasta as per packet instructions until al dente.
- In a saucepan on a medium heat, add the cream, butter and seasoning until well combined. Optional: mix in a bit of the grated cheese here for extra flavour.
- Once the sauce is ready, add the cooked pasta, tuna, spinach and tomatoes. Stir until the pasta is well coated and the additions are mixed in evenly.
- In a small baking dish, add the pasta mixture and spread evenly. Add the rest of the grated cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese on the top goes crispy. Set to cool for 5 minutes and then eat.*
* This recipe is freezer friendly. Wait until completely cool and freeze in a snap lock bag.