As a big fan of dessert, I always make sure there is something delectable either in my fridge or freezer for me to devour straight after dinner.
The whole lactose intolerance thing unfortunately deters me from eating ice cream at home (which sucks because I used to eat it all the time). Alas, everything coconut has become my new favourite dairy substitute for creating desserts and so led to today’s creation.
Desserts for me don’t have to be super sweet to be enjoyable. This dessert I find is just the right balance of sweet, creamy and a bit of tartness from the strawberries. This recipe requires just 5 ingredients and about 15 minutes of your time (plus freezing time)
Once again, silicone moulds are the way to go with this kind of food preparation just for ease of removal!
Strawberry and Cream Cups (yields 6)
What you’re going to need
6 strawberries, pureed
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut cream
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place your silicone moulds on a tray that will fit in the freezer. Mix the pureed strawberries and maple syrup together in a bowl. Pour even amounts into each mould then place the tray in the freezer.
- In a bowl, whisk the coconut cream, oil and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Check the strawberry layer in the freezer. If slightly firm to the touch, remove the tray and pour even amounts of cream into each mould.
- Place tray back in the freezer until cream has completely set. (1-2 hours)
- When ready to eat, pull out of the freezer for about 10-15 minutes before consuming.