Bit of a long winded name but when there are so many good components I wanted to mention them all! I wanted something filling and healthy for lunch today. I also wanted something relatively straightforward and with ingredients in my immediate vicinity.
If you ever get the opportunity, you should definitely try your next tomato sauce based dish with oven roasted tomatoes! If you cook them enough and get a nice char on the top, they just give the dish this phenomenal flavour. If you don’t have home grown tomatoes, that’s okay just grab some Roma ones, they roast up real nice.
The avocado for this dish was a great addition. It provides a smooth, creamy texture without the heavy feeling you get with cream. It’s also a great way to get more vegetables on your plate.
This dish is dairy free, gluten free and entirely plant based.
Saucy Quinoa with Mushroom and Avocado (serves 2 or 1 very hungry person)
What you’re going to need
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked according to packet instructions
7 roma tomatoes, halved
2 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced vertically
1 tablespoon Nuttelex dairy free spread
2 teaspoons pinenuts
small handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius. Move shelf to the highest in your oven.
- In a small bowl, mix the tomatoes, salt and pepper and just enough olive oil to coat all the tomatoes. Place spread out on a baking tray with a wire rack. Bake until roasted to your liking.
- Whilst the tomatoes are roasting, cook your quinoa. Once cooked set aside.
- Once the tomatoes are done, blend them a little bit so as to maintain a slight chunky texture. Set aside.
- In a fry pan, melt the Nuttelex and cook the mushrooms until soft. Town down to the lowest heat and add the tomato sauce. Mix through then add the quinoa and mix through until completely coated.
- Serve straight away topped with pine nuts, basil and avocado. Yum!