I’ve dined out and had polenta chips and they were super delicious! I love getting inspiration from food I’ve eaten out for ideas of what to recreate at home. I have never cooked with polenta so I followed the packet instructions to see how it would go and I was quite happy with the result. I wanted to make a healthier version of these and also ones that my body would be okay with so there is no dairy and they are also baked not fried! Here’s what I did.
Crispy Baked Polenta Chips
What you’re going to need
1 cup polenta
3 cups water
salt to season
2 tablespoons Nuttelex, melted (this is my go to dairy free spread but you could use butter or olive oil)
1 clove garlic, crushed
fresh herbs, finely chopped (e.g. basil, thyme, rosemary is what I used but feel free to use anything you have available)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Bring 3 cups of water with salt to the boil. Once boiling, whisk in the polenta and reduce to a low heat. Continue to whisk until mixture is thick and uniform. Total cook time was about 5 minutes.
- In a casserole dish, pour polenta mixture and smooth until even. Wait until this cools down to room temperature (if you’re impatient or super hungry then you can put it in the freezer to speed up this process)
- Once cool and set, slice into 1 cm thick chips. (the smaller they are, the quicker they crisp up)
- In a small bowl, combine the Nuttelex, herbs and garlic. Dip each chip in the mixture and then place on a lined baking tray. Repeat until desire quantity is reached.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Make sure to flip the chips a couple of times to ensure they are crispy on all sides.
- Serve with dipping sauce of choice!