I’m having a bit of fun with popcorn lately! I am a major advocate for buying a bag of corn kernels and popping your own! Microwave popcorn presents itself to health concerns such as excess salt and fats (if you get the extra extra butter kind). At least with homemade popcorn on the stove top, you can control the exact amount of every little thing that goes into it. All in all, your body will love you and you can still have the satisfying snack minus the guilt. My recipe today is something I thought up off the top of my head in about 30 seconds. We have an array of spices in our kitchen so I thought why not chuck a few together and see what happens. Turns out, a delicious and marvellous creation happens! It was too good not to share, so here’s how you do it! (Aside: I made this for one portion so i’ll scale up the recipe to cater for more people – or just for those of us who can’t control ourselves)
What you’re going to need
1/4 cup corn kernels
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil (you can cook it without oil but chances of burning dramatically increase)
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
salt and pepper to season
saucepan with a lid!
1. Mix up all the spices in a small dish
For those out there who have never made popcorn on a stove, I’ll just run through it
1. Heat up the oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat
2. Add the corn kernels and then place the lid on top of the saucepan. (Make sure to pick up the saucepan and swirl the popcorn and oil around just by gently shaking the saucepan to reduce chances of burning)
3. You will hear the popcorn popping! Once the popping reduces and stops, take off the heat.
4. Add as much spice mix as desired. Stir until all the popcorn is coated.